Active Learning: Entry Level
Grade Level: 3
Whole group instruction, using a projector and teacher computer
Arizona State Content Standards
- Strand 6: Earth and Space Science
- Concept 1: Properties of Earth Materials
- PO 2: Describe different types of rocks and how they are formed metamorphic, igneous, sedimentary
Arizona Common Core Standards: ELA
Research to Build and Present Knowledge
Recall information from experiences or gather information from print and digital sources; take brief notes on sources and sort evidence into provided categories.
Arizona Educational Technology Standards (2009)
- Strand 3: Research and Information Literacy
- Concept 2: Processing
- PO 4: Organize information into major topics and create a list of ideas
- Students will organize information about rocks from a digital source into major topics using a graphic organizer
- Using their whiteboards with the graphic organizer, students take notes on the various types of rocks.
- Students note simple citation information for video segment on rocks. After video, students use “pairs check” to compare notes in pairs, verifying completeness of information. Teacher/students conduct discussion about each type of rock and the formation of each, comparing and contrasting each.
- Individual whiteboards for graphic organizer, markers
- Projector/Speaker setup
- Internet connection
- Teacher computer
- Graphic organizer web tool, such as Bubbl.us (bubbl.us), Popplet (popplet.com)
or Exploratree (exploratree.org.uk) or software application such as Kidspiration.
- Teacher observes through discussion.
- Teacher assesses the graphic organizer for completeness.
- Students use Venn diagram to compare/contrast two of the types of rocks.
- Teacher can download the Blackline Masters from the Discovery Education Video Series linked above, and use the pre/post test as well as other materials.