June 23, 2017, 8:30am
June 23, 2017, 9:00am-3:00pm
This two-day institute is designed for teachers seeking National Board Certification in the 2017-2018 school year. Completion of a Pre-Candidacy class and an NBPTS Candidate ID Number are prerequisites. Participation at this event is required for those teachers qualifying and seeking funding assistance to pursue National Board Certification from the Arizona K12 Center.
Seeking National Board Certification is a challenging, but worthwhile process. Join us for this institute to begin your candidacy year. Working with an outstanding group of National Board Certified Teachers that comprise our faculty, you will delve deeply into the standards to gain a deeper understanding of the process, while being provided the opportunity to work with teachers from around the state who are pursuing the same certificate area.
Learning sessions will provide you the time and resources you need to feel ready and prepared to begin your candidacy year. Portions of this event will be spent providing tips and strategies for analyzing student work, as well as ideas for how to better utilize the important documents provided by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. We will also take a look at the role writing and technology play in the process, provide tips on how to avoid some potential pitfalls, and will learn more about what to expect during your Assessment Center and videotaping experiences.
This institute is designed with you in mind. It will be engaging and hands-on. You will meet many others who have chosen to take this journey, and will form relationships that will sustain you throughout your journey toward National Board Certification.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the National Board Standards, Architecture of Accomplished Teacher, 5 Core Propositions, and the overall certification process.
- Obtain a deeper understanding of the content and requirements of the three NBPTS portfolio-based components and one computer-based assessment.
- Plan for successful completion of portfolio-based components.
- Explore content that will be measured during the assessment center exercises.
- Analyze content and discourse needed for videotaping one’s practice.
- Examine of the types of evidence needed in written commentary.
- Feel a sense of accomplishment for having participated in engaging and collaborative work time.
Registration includes training, materials, breakfast, and lunch.
*Please note that overnight accommodations are not included in the registration. Contact the National Board Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about overnight accommodations.