May 13, 2017, 8:30am
May 13, 2017, 9:00am-12:00pm
As a candidate for National Board Certification, you will embark on a voyage of reflection on your accomplishments and goals, gaining a fuller perspective on your teaching career. Through this process, many teachers experience a renewed passion, excitement, and appreciation for the work they have chosen. Before becoming a National Board candidate, a Pre-Candidacy class introduces you to the National Board Standards and the process of National Board Certification. As part of the National Board Certification process, you will take stock of your own teaching practices and the results achieved in your classroom through the completion of four components. It is through this self-observation that you can become an even stronger educator.
This is a hybrid course that blends face-to-face and online learning environments to build community, while also learning about the National Board Certification process. The bulk of work for this course is done in an online environment, between two face-to-face meetings.
By the end of this Pre-Candidacy course, you will be able to make an informed decision about when the right time is to engage with the National Board Certification process. You will also be able to more deeply understand the process and documents set forth by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards to select the best components to focus on during the 2017-2018 cycle and future school years.
- Receive an introduction to the National Board Standards and process of National Board Certification.
- Gain an understanding of how to analyze one’s impact on students.
- Obtain knowledge needed to make an informed decision about when to declare candidacy with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards and which components of the process to focus on during their completion timeline.
- Feel a renewed passion, excitement, and appreciation for teaching.
Registration includes continental breakfast and materials.
- Face-to-face classes are held in our Professional Learning Center in Phoenix. All other coursework is completed online.
- Completion of this Pre-Candidacy Class is a pre-requisite to receive funding assistance from the Arizona K12 Center for National Board Certification.