May 2-3, 2017, 8:00am-8:30am
November 4, 2016, 1:00pm-2:30pm
February 7, 2017, 1:00pm-2:30pm
May 2-3, 2017, 8:30am-3:30pm
After acquiring extensive knowledge and skills through the Professional Learning Series Years One and Two (previously known as Mentor Academy), Year Three Advance Academy Series guides mentors through structured inquiries of practice and responsive decision-making. This advanced academy series establishes an action research cycle that serves as a model for ongoing mentor professional development and induction program innovation.
During Session 9: Inquiry Into Mentor Practice , participants will:
- Distinguish between practitioner inquiry (action research) and formal research studies.
- Examine the inquiry cycle as a powerful learning process at many levels throughout the induction program.
- Experience a variety of protocols that promote professional dialogue, sustain a professional learning community, and deepen each participant’s professional practice.
- Create and refine an inquiry plan that includes desired impact on one’s practice, one’s beginning teachers, and/or the induction program.
- Identify multiple sources of data to support one’s inquiry into mentoring practice.
During Session 10: Inquiry Research and Collaboration, participants will:
- Collaborate with colleagues investigating the same inquiry focus area.
- Experience a variety of protocols that help establish a professional learning community and support each participant’s personal learning.
- Refine one’s inquiry plan with attention to the impact on individual practice, beginning teacher practice, student learning, and program development.
- Enrich and deepen one’s exploration of the inquiry focus area through the review and discussion of pertinent articles and resources.
During Session 11: Inquiry Colloquium, participants will:
- Reflect and make meaning out of the data collected for the inquiry.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop a product synthesizing the learning from the inquiry.
- Present the product to their peers.
- Reinforce the power and value of data driven collaborative inquiry.
Registration includes a continental breakfast and lunch each day. The fee also includes the cost of all materials for participating mentors plus the New Teacher Center online (Learning Zone) tools for each mentor and beginning teacher.
As a prerequisite, participants must have attended Professional Learning Series Years One and Two (previously known as Mentor Academy). There is limited space available for this particular series and participants should register early. We expect this professional learning opportunity to sellout quickly!
***Please note that this training takes place during two, 2-day sessions at the Arizona K12 Center PLC (August 30-31 and May 2-3), and two webinar sessions from your school sites (November 4 and February 7).