The mission of the Arizona K12 Center is to improve teaching and learning in Arizona's schools through high quality professional development and teacher leadership.
In order to achieve this mission we believe that high quality professional development should be:
- Accessible in terms of proximity and cost
- Relevant to the school and classroom environment
- Proven effective based on research, best practices, and program evaluation
- Based on students' needs
- Based on the Arizona Academic Standards for Students and the Arizona Professional Teaching Standards
The goals of the Arizona K12 Center are carried out statewide in the context of the Vision of the Arizona K12 Center and the three over-arching frameworks: Leadership, Learning, and Technology.
- Facilitate and provide quality teacher leadership and professional development opportunities that are focused on building leadership and school capacity that improve student learning and teacher retention.
- Develop partnerships with schools, districts, higher education, and other entities, with a priority on high need schools, which are focused on improving instructional practice and student success using collaborative and reflective processes.
- Develop and promote the profession of teaching in Arizona by engaging in policy and research on:
- Teaching as a profession
- The impact of quality instruction on student learning
- Best practices in professional development and teacher evaluation